Saturday, August 9, 2008

Walking the Labyrinth

Those of you who know me well know that I've been a bit obsessed with labyrinths for a number of years. Back when we lived in New Mexico, my dream was to build a huge labyrinth that I could use for walking meditation. It was also going to be a place where friends and family could escape to . . .


. . . And it was going to look like this, but on a mammoth scale. Well, I never quite got around to making it, though I did make quite a few smaller labyrinths while living there. These, for instance. The three photos that you see here are all table-top sized labyrinths. They started with a single one, which I took many weeks making. Once I finished it, and fired it, I made a mould from it, which I use to press clay into.


Now, it might seem like I've got a mass-production thing going on here, but let me assure you that that's not the case. Even though I'm able to use my mould to create more, each one requires a great deal of time to make--cleaning them up, burnishing the surface, etc. Sometimes I think it might be quicker to start each one from scratch, but then I went to all the trouble to make a mould, so I intend to use it! Besides, it's not about how quickly I can accomplish a thing. It's about the process. And I enjoy taking the time with each one.


While I realize that the objective of this blog is to post NEW works, these kind of feel like "new" to me, because they've been packed away for so long. I'll list these on my Etsy shop, just as soon as I get around to opening it!

Tomorrow I'll post photos of even smaller labyrinths. Be sure to come back! :)

No comments: